Course Credit FAQ | UC Online

Course Credit FAQ

Will the course credits count towards graduation?
When considering any UC course offered through UC Online, you will satisfy one of many possible requirements toward graduation. ALL courses taken through our Cross-Campus Enrollment System (CCES) will provide unit credit toward graduation. After successfully completing a course, you may receive additional types of credit as articulated by your home campus. These articulations could potentially count toward the requirements to graduate within a particular field-of-study, major, concentration, etc.
How many different kinds of course credits are there?
General Education can most effectively be described as the basics of an undergraduate education. You can read more about University Requirements here. Note that each campus has specific General Education requirements, so be sure to check with your home campus for that list of requirements. Pre-Major requirements can be considered a foundation which is required before you can declare a particular major. For example, Introductory Calculus can be considered a pre-major requirement for both a Math Major, and a Physics Major, but probably not for a Humanities Major. Major requirements must be satisfied within a specific field of study in order to receive that particular degree. Each campus can provide a list of Major requirements and courses that satisfy those requirements, but there might be an additional opportunity to satisfy a particular major requirement through the cross-campus enrollment system. Equivalency is considered a replacement for a specific course(s). This means that if the equivalent course at your home campus provides GE, Major, and/or Pre-Major credit, then you will receive that credit as if you had taken that course at your home campus. For example, as a UCLA student, if you were to successfully complete Math 19A hosted at UCSC, you would be taking a course Equivalent to Math 31A at UCLA, which also satisfies a Quantitative Reasoning GE, and possibly a Pre-Major requirement for a Mathematics Major.
What do the different credit types mean to me?
We are providing as much GE, Pre-Major, Major, and Equivalency information as we can to help you find the courses you need at other UC campuses. You might find that there is a course in our inventory which is not offered at your campus - yet satisfies a GE, Pre-Major, or Major Requirement at your home campus. For example, if a UCSC student would like to take a History course from UC Riverside, HIST 75V: Introduction to Latin American History, they would receive units toward graduation as well as satisfying the Cross-Cultural Analysis (CC) GE Requirement at UCSC.
How do I know a UC Online course will count toward my degree or other requirements?
Current course equivalencies are available on the course description page for each course. Students will receive UC unit credit toward graduation at their home campus (provided they pass the course). Contact your home Academic Adviser to determine if a course will fulfill general education, major or other requirements.
How do I get course credit beyond units toward graduation?
If there is anything listed for your home campus in the Course Approvals section of the Course Information Page, we have confirmed the course credit agreement with your campus to ensure that you will receive the type of credit listed. If the course meets requirements at other campuses, but not yours, try speaking to an adviser about the petition process.
What if the course credit I want is not shown to me when I am looking at a course I would like to take?
Start by speaking to an Academic Adviser at your campus. Some courses might satisfy major, pre-major, or even GE requirements upon petition. It is best to work with your Academic Adviser and/or UC Online Support to ensure that you will receive the appropriate credit required for graduation.
When should I work with my Academic Adviser regarding online course opportunities and my major/degree, GE credit needs?
If you have found a course that sounds interesting, and seems like it might satisfy a requirement specific to your field of study, now’s the time to talk with your Academic Adviser. Copy the link to the course and send it to your Academic Adviser, or print the Course Information Page, then bring that information to your Academic Adviser. S/he will evaluate the course syllabus and course description to ensure that the course provides the credit you need to graduate.
Can I complete an undergraduate degree online?
UC campuses do not currently offer undergraduate degrees online. However, some campuses do offer online masters and certificate programs.
What is the conversion between a semester unit and a quarter unit?
1.5 quarter units = 1 semester unit
How do I change the grade option for a UC Online course?
 Please check the deadlines at the host campus, and before the deadline, use your school email account to email UC Online Support with a request for a grade-option change. After the deadline, UC Online Support will contact both your home and the host campus registrars for approval.
Will I get credit for repeating a course that I failed before?
Each campus defines its own regulations regarding repeating a course that has been failed for credit. Check with your home campus Registrar’s Office to see if you can get credit for repeating the course.
How do I receive my transcripts?
The Host campus will automatically send an official transcript to the student's home campus upon completion of the course.
How do I request an Incomplete Grade for my UC Online course?
Cross-campus students can elect to take an incomplete grade for UC Online courses. You must contact the host campus Registrar’s Office and follow their policy to request the change and complete the course.