Earning UC Credit | UC Online

Earning UC Credit

Think of course credit as more than just a number. Courses taken from another UC campus always provide unit credit. Your adviser or campus articulation officer can evaluate an individual course to ensure that your knowledge and skills upon completion of the course is comprehensive enough to satisfy a campus-specific requirement. This action is known as Articulation. Once a course has gone through the articulation process, it is generally considered as an ‘Articulation Agreement’ or an ‘Approval’ for a certain type of credit. Students who take courses outside of their home campus should consult a College or school adviser about Articulation Agreements to determine how the courses will transfer.


What is it?

When considering any UC course offered through the cross-campus enrollment system, you will satisfy one of many possible requirements toward graduation. ALL courses taken through our Cross-Campus Enrollment system will provide unit credit toward graduation. After successfully completing a course, you may receive additional types of credit as articulated by your home campus. These articulations could potentially count toward the requirements to graduate within a particular field-of-study, major, concentration, etc.

Types of Course Credit

  1. General Education can most effectively be described as the basics of an undergraduate education.
  2. Pre-Major requirements can be considered a foundation which is required before you can declare a particular major.
  3. Major requirements must be satisfied within a specific field-of-study in order to receive that particular degree.
  4. Equivalency is considered a replacement for a specific course(s).

The UC Cross-Campus Enrollment Petition Process

Would you like to take a course at another campus, but are unclear about whether it might satisfy a General Education or Major Requirement?

Each UC campus has a unique petition process that may allow you to take a course online, or in-person, and then through petition seek more than just unit credit toward graduation. If you have found a course you want to take, e-mail a link, or take the information about the course to your adviser. After your adviser determines if you are eligible for simultaneous enrollment, you can use the forms below to navigate the petition process to seek other forms of credit such as satisfying a General Education, or Major requirement.

Even if your campus may not explicitly say that you will receive GE or Major credit for a course offered by another UC campus, pay close attention to the type of credit that the course offers to other UC campuses. According to Academic Senate rules (AS 477), if four or more campuses recognize a course satisfies GE or Major requirements, then you might be able to petition for the same credit at your campus.

Always start the process by seeking advice from your college or major adviser. They will guide you through the process if it is appropriate for you.

Petition Forms

Read the Course Credit FAQs for additional details about course credit and articulation.